Sunday 15 September 2013

In the past people were friendlier than we are today. Do you agree or disagree?

In the past people were friendlier than we are today. Do you agree or disagree?

I don’t agree nor disagree with this statement. I think that it’s impossible to determine whether people were friendlier in the past than they are today because of several things. I mean one, define past. When am I supposed to compare? 1420’s? 1500’s? 1950’s? 1980’s? 2000? Yesterday? I mean past could be ANY time before the present is the past! There is no certain way of determining whether people were nicer or not because we do not know which time age or frame the question/ prompt is referring to. Another thing that makes this prompt nearly impossible to write about is WHERE? Where is this prompt talking about? American then and now? Saipan then and now? Asia then and now? I mean seriously. This is way too broad of a topic. Another thing is if it’s talking about what I am going to refer to, then there is no real way of going back that far in the past and experiencing for yourself if people were nicer back then or today? And not all people act the same. So personally this is a totally ridiculous topic to be writing about. But my teacher says we have to write about it, so that’s what I sadly have to do. I hate it. So what I’m basically thinking about when given this prompt was thinking back to the time of racism and a little before the Civil War and things like that. I mean I guess you could say that people back then were nice and they were just racist because that was how they were raised to be. But even though they were racist I wouldn’t necessarily refer to us, people who live in the present, any better or nicer than the people in that era. Why you might ask? Because we have changed dramatically, but in some ways haven’t changed at all. America is afraid of change, or well most of it is. The reason I say this is because even though America is now mostly equal racially, we are still not equal with everything. For example gay rights. First it was woman suffrage, when woman had to fight so hard to even try to become semi- equals to men. Then after woman suffrage was the Civil War which brought most of an end to slavery and when people fought, and died for what they believed in. And now its gay rights. Should they even be equal to us because they don’t love the opposite sex? What in the world is that! Why is it even a question? It’s just like racism, not wanting them to have equal rights because of their skin color, a factor might I add, that is not a choice but is hereditary. Like gay marriage. It should not even be a question to be able to marry the one you love, no matter what sex they are. So I do not think that people then nor people now are any nicer. It really just depends on all the variables. So technically it is impossible to have a flawless argument with either side you chose to defend. So yeah. That’s what I believe and what we had to write about. Boring, but mandatory.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment